Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Re: Stabilizing a CF tripod
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:26:03 -0700

Jim Brick wrote:

> At 11:27 AM 9/20/99 -0700, Jim Laurel wrote:
> >
> >But this whole thread on tripods seems to miss the point of the M camera.
><Snip>
> I just printed some 20x24 Cibachromes from that trip. I showed one to Ted
> on Friday night. Sharp and crisp. 35/1.4 ASPH on Fuji 100/1000 at 200. This
> particular photograph was hand held. But in order to produce large prints
> from 35mm transparencies, one must be prepared to use the necessary tools.
> And sometimes that tool is a tripod.
>
> Jim B.

Nothing gets you using your tripod more than the making of very large prints.
Even at 125th of a second where you think you are safe with a normal and a wide
it's awful nice to see that detail line up when you've spent the money on the
large sheet of paper. A different ballgame than projection where anything looks
good. Yes blurry pictures are OK sometimes for me too!

And yes! this does have a familiar ring to it as do 99% of all our discussions.
But I think we hone them to a finer point in each deja vue. If I and or Jim had
said this before I'm sure we both enjoyed saying it better this time! Ritual is
important! Like Family!
Mark Rabiner