Subject: Re: RE: [Leica] Re:Ask?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 22:11:55 -0500

At 11:46 PM 9/20/99 +0200, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
>Why would a photograph taken at a public event be less dangerous than one
>taken
>elsewhere?  Why would taking a photograph be dangerous at all?

It's a matter of practicality. I can't go around the gym at a basketball
game and make sure each kid is released. If they're on the basketball team,
then they're probably not in much danger. It's mostly to protect younger
kids who can't defend themselves.

>Parents usually know what their children look like, whether they have
>custody or
>not; they don't need photographs.

There are lots of non-custodial parents who don't know where their kids
are. But if a picture is in the paper saying what school it's at, it makes
it a lot easier, in many cases, to figure out where they are after school.
Just hang out at the end of the school day and follow them home. Unless you
have had to deal with this as a photographer, and see how many times kids
are "in hiding" it might seem ridiculous. It was to me the first few times.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

.one sees the glass half full, another, the glass half
              empty. The engineer sees the glass twice as big as it has to be.