Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: clandestine photographs of other people
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 07:53:21 +0200

Hi Jim,

Like all my photographs, I take my people photographs for two reasons:

1) Simply for my personal enjoyment of the results, occasionally shared with
family and friends.

2) In the vain hope that one day I will have improved my skills and have enough
good material to actually exhibit or publish my work. For sure, this day is long
way off (and may never come) but one has to start somewhere and to keep trying.

With respect to photographs of children specifically, I have a lot of opportunity
to do that in a non-threatening setting (to either myself or the parents). My
10-year old son plays soccer in the fall and baseball in the spring. Typically
during the games the place is milling with younger siblings of the players who
provide some wonderful photo opportunities. Since I more or less know all the
other parents, there is no issue with the photography. And a couple of times,
when I have taken a particularly successful shot, I have given a print to the
parents. It is always appreciated.

Nathan

Jim Brick wrote:

> This thread of how to take clandestine photographs of other people without
> getting beat-up, pops up over and over.
>
> Ted, Harrison, Tina, and others, are people photographers. But there is a
> purpose for their photographing these people. And Ted, Harrison, Tina, and
> the others are welcome into whatever the situation is.
>
> But those of you that "sneak" photographs of other people, or photograph
> other people's children at a playground... what is it that you do with
> these photographs? You cannot publish them, you would neither want to hang
> them on your wall, nor have a slide show. Or would you?
>
> I am not being facetious or argumentative. I simply would like to know. Is
> it possible to explain the use of the resulting photographs? I have no
> desire to do this kind of photography, therefore, without help, I cannot
> understand the motive involved.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

- --