Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: clandestine photographs of other people
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 11:39:50 +0200

From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 1999 02:22

> But those of you that "sneak" photographs of other people,
> or photograph other people's children at a playground...
> what is it that you do with these photographs? You cannot
> publish them, you would neither want to hang them on your
> wall, nor have a slide show. Or would you?

It seems to me that hanging them on a wall or having a slide show is _exactly_
what you'd want to do with them.  Indeed, that's what you'd do with just about
any photo, unless you publish it.  The fact that a photo is of a human being has
no effect on this.

Most people find photos featuring human beings to be much more interesting than
photos that do not feature human beings.  That's why products like cars or
washing machines are so often picture with human beings standing next to them.
Human beings are a highly social species.

Personally, I find pictures of rocks and tree trunks to be pretty boring.

> Is it possible to explain the use of the resulting photographs?
> I have no desire to do this kind of photography, therefore,
> without help, I cannot understand the motive involved.

What kind of photographs do you take, and what do you do with them?

As for "sneaking" photos, candid photos are often far more interesting than
photos in which the subject is aware of the camera and looking at it.  Many
people find it impossible to forget the presence of a camera once they notice
it, so it is best that they do not notice it, if you want to get nice pictures.

  -- Anthony