Subject: Re: [Leica] Nikon 300 2.8 vs Leica SLR lens
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 14:15:26 -0700

I questioned my mental state for replying to this crap post and very nearly
didn't. However it's such a crock of bullshit, but nothing any brighter
than we've come to expect from  good old toto oz!

There isn't any doubt the 300 Nikon 2.8 isn't a fine lens, it is. Why
wouldn't it be?

<<<<<Also no Pulitzer prize has ever been awarded to a photo taken with a
Leica SLR.  Because Leica-SLR are not up to the punishment put on them by
pros not the 5 rolls a year shooters which most of the lugger are.>>>>>>>

I say old chap would you mind just taking a flying leap into a windmill!

The absolute sillyness of stating that no Pulitzer prize has ever been
awarded to a photograph taken with a Leica SLR is probably the stupidest
remark of all!!! I figure it comes close to an Oscar Award for "stupid
comments on the LUG!" Hell even I don't make them that stupid!  Close on
occaision!:):)

What the hell does any camera have to do with capturing a Pulitzer moment?
It's the photographer holding the camera dummy, not the camera!

<<<<Because Leica-SLR are not up to the punishment put on them by pros not
the 5 rolls a year shooters which most of the lugger are.>>>>>>>

gee I hate sounding like an off the wall kinda guy, but here you go again
with the second dumbest thing....sorry no prizes for seconds! But it ranks
right up there with the dumbest!

There are many photographers on the LUG that shoot hundreds and hundreds of
rolls a year and I imagine damn few who only shoot 5 if any! Some of us
have shot a 100 rolls within a couple of days on certain assignments. Or in
my case, July 1, 1985 I shot 53 rolls of 36 exposure Kodachrome during the
one day celebration of Canada Day! So "only 5 rolls a year?"   Up your nose
with a rubber hose!

<<<<<<Leica has great optics but the SLR bodies have second rate features.
No compact tough motors or even removable finders and their metering system
is a shame given the price of their bodies.>>>>>>>>>

Gee you really have a thing about Leica slr's don't you. Is there anything
else in life you don't like? WOW! And the metering you get right off on
that one, whew! Is there anything you do like about the Leica SLR and if
there is I bet you wont tell us at the rate your going!

But I'll just bet, if Leica were to offer you a couple of R8's with motors
and a nice selection of lenses as a gift, you couldn't get them in your
hands fast enough before you peed your pants with excitement.

And I bet you wouldn't say to them, "Well they aren't tough enough as
they've never won a Puliter and the metering sucks and the motors aren't
compact and for heavans sake you can't get the prism off!"  I just bet
you'd tell them!

<<<< I like to here comments on the death of the Leica SLR bodies or better
yet when are they going to be born.>>>>>

Well I guess I've done it again with some comments for the second day of
shooting my mouth off at a tenderfoot fool who knows nothing about Leica.
Hell, I bet ToTo, you've never put a dozen rolls through an R8? Otherwise
you'd know what a real SLR is all about.

But than that's my humble opinion for the day!

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant