Subject: [Leica] re: Noctilux and birth pictures
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 17:51:38 -0400

Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> In fact, it looks like you had at least two bodies handy in the OR!  What
sort
> of restrictions did the hospital and attending physician impose?  And what
> precautions did you take to protect the camera and/or the sterile field?
>
> I was in a discussion about this on rec.photo.techniques.people and
someone
> claimed that many hospitals just don't allow cameras in OR at all, even
for
> normal deliveries.  Someone else suggested that this applies mainly to the
use
> of flash.  I'm not exactly sure what the real story is.

    Video camera's and P&S are quite common in deliveries, no special
precautions are needed.
The  Yashica Dental-Eye is the point and shoot used by surgeons in the O.R.,
but the Leica R is perhaps the most used camera in the O.R. for the reason
that Wild-Leitz stereoscopic surgical microscope is one of the two most
popular brands (the other being Zeiss). My first use of the R4s was the one
supplied with our scope. I have always favored the Leica scope because of
the optics (which are a full step above the Zeiss). The binocular scope has
two beamsplitters, one goes to the assistant's head which is binocular but
not stereoscopic and the other feeds the videocamera and R4. Needless to
say, many many thousands of intraoperative slides are taken using Leica
equipment every year.

Jonathan Borden