Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Another reason not to like the built in hood.
From: "Lee, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Lee@hrcc.on.ca>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 09:16:17 -0400

Jim worte,

So my simple question is... how did it get there? And if it is in the
shade, isn't it also under the f/stop and focus rings? Under the shutter
speed dial? And perhaps making its way into the workings of your camera?

I hope you can see why I'm curious... and I hope that what I've just said
is not true. I hope that the lens shade grit was simply a single bad luck
incident.

NJ or Sherry can CLA your lens and replace the shade.

Jim,

It has been three weeks since I was at the beach.  I don't think the sand
got anywhere else because: the focus is still smooth (believe me I've
checked),
the f/stop ring moves smoothly as does the shutter ring. No sand (or
scratches)
on film. Judging by the scratches, four sand particles entered between the
hood and
f/stop ring.  It's not something  that I consider serious since the
operation
of the lens and camera has not been compromised. Does it bug me? Yes.  Would
I consider replacing the shade? No.

Jonathan Lee