Subject: [Leica] Re: Another reason not to like the built in hood.
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 16:32:41 -0700

At 04:06 PM 9/22/99 -0700, Mark Rabiner wrote:

>He was then agreeing with you. I always used to bring my Nikons to the beach.
>I'm too afraid of my single M6 body getting into trouble. Will get braver
>with a second body.

Jonathan, etc., please take this as the simple question that it is.

I've lived on the California coast all of my 61 years. Two years of that in
Santa Barbara CA at Brooks Inst. of Photography. Also a beach town. I, and
my colleagues, have taken literally hundreds of thousands of photographs on
and around the beach. Every conceivable camera type. Even in Mexico,
shooting an underwater film, we camped for two weeks on the beach with all
of our gear. Still and motion picture. I have never seen sand on or in any
of my or anyone else's equipment. I/We have never had a grit problem. I'm
stumped???

So my simple question is... how did it get there? And if it is in the
shade, isn't it also under the f/stop and focus rings? Under the shutter
speed dial? And perhaps making its way into the workings of your camera?

I hope you can see why I'm curious... and I hope that what I've just said
is not true. I hope that the lens shade grit was simply a single bad luck
incident.

NJ or Sherry can CLA your lens and replace the shade.

Jim