Subject: Re: [Leica] "Best Buy" Leica SLR recommendations, please
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 13:53:01 GMT

For the price range either a Leicaflex SL or an R4 would be a
great choice.

The SL is very reliable and should be available for 300-450 in great shape.
A mint- 50 summicron is about 350, MUCH less if you don't need cosmetic
perfection.

The R4 has a reputation for unreliability, but I have found mine to be quite
nice. Cameras with serial numbers higher than 16000000 were more reliable,
but are somewhat more money on the used market.  The R4 has some nice
aperture and shutter priority modes, and the size is MUCH smaller than the
SL or the later SLR leicas.

As a second lens I recommend the Elmarit 35 2.8.  They are available for
less than 400 nearly everywhere, and the performance is quite good if you
don't mind the loss of a stop. Try to get the later version if possible, as
the full aperture performance is better.

Good Luck
Dan States