Subject: [Leica] "Best Buy" Leica SLR recommendations, please
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 09:45:52 -0400

- -------------------- Begin Original Message --------------------

Message text written by INTERNET:leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

"I have read the archives, as well as some of the (very few) sites on Leica

SLRs, and it would appear that our choice of affordable, used bodies
include
Leicaflex SL,  R3, R4 (above ser #1.6M) and R4sP.  There are a considerable

number of two-cam lenses on the market at attractive prices that would make

the Leicaflex a great value, but it lacks any AE (not necessarily a bad
thing).  Are conversions to three-cam expensive?  How about the R3 from a
users perspective?  I'd like to keep the initial purchase under $600, if
possible, for body and normal lens.
"

- -------------------- End Original Message --------------------

Mike,

Of the bodies you mentioned my personal favorite is the SL.  I've used the
SL, R4s, and R4sP.  The R4sP is handy for grab shots, assuming I've left it
in the automatic, center-weighted mode, but the SL has a soul (knockout
viewfinder, too).

If your son wants a viewfinder that will show him the colors, detail and
brilliance of his photos, the SL is the best choice.  The R3's viewfinder
is darker, which may not be a problem under ordinary conditions but with my
f/6.8 Telyt it's definitely not as usable as the SL.  I like being able to
change viewscreens on the R4sP; I use the matte with grid screen.

Sherry Krauter charges $115 for a 3-cam conversion.  Leica USA may charge
something else.

Doug Herr
Sacramento