Subject: [Leica] Re: Intermediate aperture settings
From: pieter@world.std.com (Pieter Bras)
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 14:56:51 -0400

"Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com> wrote:

> I know the M6 only allows specific shutter speeds as marked on the
> shutter-speed dial, but will my Summicron lens allow intermediate
> f-stops?  It has click stops for every half f-stop, but since there
> isn't any mechanism keyed to the aperture ring other than the diaphragm
> (unlike the shutter, which must have something complicated connected to
> the dial), I don't see any reason why I can't choose any intermediate
> position in order to get a more accurate exposure.  Is this a correct
> assumption on my part?

Yes, the apertures are continuously variable, set them anywhere you like.
The click stops are just there for convenience; some older lenses don't
have them at the half-stop positions.

As for the shutter speed, it is also continuously variable, except
between 1/8 and 1/15 second.  However for the M6 meter to perform
correctly the shutter-speed dial must be engaged at one of the marked
detents.

- --
Pieter Bras