Subject: [Leica] Re: 135MM F3.4 Question
From: pieter@world.std.com (Pieter Bras)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:31:29 -0400

Jerald Rosenfeld <rosenfeld@mpdr0.detroit.mi.ameritech.net> asked:

Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be> replied:
>... The quality of this lens is astounding.
>
>... One other possibility to explore whether you like 135mm or not is
> to buy an old 4.5/135mm Hektor. This is one of the best values in the
> entire Leica lens world, can usually be found for under $200.
> Obviously the quality is not the same as the Apo Telyt, but it is
> very very good nonetheless.

Well, the old Hektor, designed in 1933, isn't bad, but I would not
recommend it to someone looking for the latest and greatest.  And $200
is way too much to pay for a Hektor, unless it of collectible quality;
$100 or so should do.

For $200-$300 you can find a 4.0/135mm Elmar from the 60's, which I
would consider the best value for 135mm.  (Don't confuse this with the
4.5/135mm screw-mount Elmar from the early thirties.)  I own both a
Hektor/4.5 and an Elmar/4.0 and compared them:  wide open the Elmar
showed better detail, especially at the edges and in the corners.
Also the Elmar's color transmission was like that of my other more
modern lenses, while the Hektor made things look as if a warming filter
had been attached.  I might use the Hektor for a warm, romantic look, or
for back and white, but definitely prefer the Elmar for color slides.
(Yes, my Hektor had been CLA'd by Sherry K. prior to the comparison.)

- --
Pieter Bras