Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Sunlight in the lens
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 09:50:53 +0200

From: Michael D. Turner <mike@lcl-imaging.com>
Sent: Friday, September 24, 1999 04:02
Subject: [Leica] Re: Sunlight in the lens

> Well?

Well what?  If I need to make long exposures, I'll mount an SLR on a
tripod--probably the FG, because it is reasonably light.  I don't like to mount
the F5 that way, because I worry about that tiny screw holding all that weight.

The tripod mount of the M6 worries me, too.  The camera is very light, but the
mount is awfully eccentric, and it apparently is part of the baseplate, not the
camera body proper.  Fortunately, I plan to use it handheld exclusively.

My little digital camera and my P&S mount nicely on a tripod, but I have little
reason to use them that way.  It turns out that the Nikon CP950 is even worse
than the Kodak DC120 for night shots; it has higher resolution but such low
sensitivity (ISO 80) that it is still kind of a lost cause, and it is incapable
of making long exposures.  Both digital cameras suffer from the problem of
blooming in low light--bright details tend to bleed into adjacent pixels, a
problem that usually doesn't exist with film.  I have gotten some nice sunset
shots with the digicams, but not night shots--they are merely adequate.

  -- Anthony