Subject: RE: [Leica] : Leica created book!
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 19:19:41 +0100

Jim,
I hear what you and others say and feel compelled to send Ted some lucre to
obtain this, even though I'm unsure about whether I have (or even desire)
an "affichage d'art".!

What I did manage to secure today was an out of print book on one of
Britain's greatest photographers (sadly I don't think he used a Leica)
entitled 'Photographs by Raymond Moore'.
He takes the most ordinary scenes and imbibes them with dignity, awareness,
freshness, and intrigue. Sadly he died some 10 years ago or more and
remarkably there are no books available on him any longer.
On the back of recent postings on the LUG, the opening statement (written
by Moore) in this volume struck me as apposite to recall, I'm not saying I
agree with it, merely that the sentiments have been expressed before.

"A man should write for all he is worth, about whatever state he is in at
the time, however little he knows about it.
You only stumble on poetic truth in the dark, in the light it is too easy
to step round it."
P.J.Kavanagh. Quote from BBC broadcast, 'The Living Poet'.
(Moore then goes on to reflect on how that sentiment is echoed in his
attitude to his photography.)

A view at odds with most rational thought, but then most true artists are
perhaps not entirely rational.

Jem