Subject: Re: [Leica] Web Site: PhotographyReview.com
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 00:24:07 +0200

From: Paul T. Collura <pcollura@epix.net>
Sent: Friday, September 24, 1999 20:20
Subject: [Leica] Web Site: PhotographyReview.com

> As one can see the reviews run the gamut from
> praise to severe criticism.

Actually, it looks more like they alternate between two extremes: either five
stars or none (almost).  Leica is painted as either Forrest Gump or John Conner
(Sean Connery's "wise old man" role in _Rising Sun_).

Well, I've been using an M6 for just over a week, after using SLRs exclusively
for about three decades.  My impression thus far is that Leica's reputation is
for the most part well deserved.  I was really tired of hearing the myths and
flames concerning Leica, and I'm glad I found out for myself.  The only and only
disadvantage is that I can sense that it's going to cost me money!

People who say that a Leica rangefinder beats anything are living in a fantasy
world, but so is anyone who dismisses Leica as outdated or useless; I can only
assume that people in both groups are either very narrow-minded, or they've only
used one of the two systems.  Both a Leica M6 and a Nikon F5 take great
pictures--you can't really tell them apart.  The real difference is in the
ergonomy of the systems; that is, they are very different from the
photographer's standpoint, but the results they provide are the same from a pure
image-capture standpoint.  The M6 enjoys absolute supremacy in certain
situations, and is almost completely useless in others, but this is a question
of the way it is used, not a matter of technical superiority overall.  Besides,
the same thing can be said about SLRs.  The nice thing is that the M6 fits right
in where my F5 does not, and vice versa.  There isn't that much overlap between
the two, and I think the big mistake most people make is in assuming that it has
to be either one or the other.  It's rather like claiming that 35mm is suited to
billboard-sized enlargements view from a foot away, or that view cameras are
good for espionage.

If I require extraordinary flexibility and rapidity from a purely technical
standpoint, I'll take the F5 when I go out to shoot.  If I require simplicity
and discretion, I'll take the M6 out.  So if I go out specifically to shoot
pictures for my Web site under unusual conditions, I might take the F5 so that I
have plenty of flexibility (at the expense of size and weight, and the
inconvenience of attracting lots of attention).  If I go out to shoot pictures
quietly under relatively ordinary circumstances (no need for extreme shutter
speeds, instant focusing, perfect and automatic exposure, etc.), I'll take the
M6.  I can imagine taking the F5 to an outing where I've promised to take
pictures of family and friends or colleagues.  I can imagine taking the M6 out
for dinner to shoot a couple of photos discreetly and quietly over the meal.
The important thing is that I'll get exactly the same quality of photos in both
cases, so it's strictly a case of which tool most suits me for the specific
occasion.

I can sympathize with those who say that a rangefinder puts you closer to your
subject, as I have noticed this myself.  However, that can be good or bad--it
depends on your specific purpose.

Of course, in some situations, only one of the cameras will do.  There's no way
that I can shoot at 1/4000 of a second with the M6.  Nor is there any way that
I'm going to be able to shoot at f/1.2 with the F5 (I don't have any Nikon
lenses that are that fast).  But most of the time either camera will do the job.
It's nice to have a choice, however.  I would not be willing to give up either
of these systems.

I hope that both Leica and Nikon stay around for a long, long time.  Heck, I
hope Hasselblad and all the rest stay in there, too, for that matter--I've never
used MF or LF equipment, but I'm sure it has its place, and I wouldn't want to
see it go away.  I suppose there are even people in the world who like APS
cameras (in fact, I know one 13-year-old girl who thinks they are really cool,
and has felt that way since she was eight).

  -- Anthony