Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Kodachrome processing
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:34:15 -0500

At 09:52 AM 9/23/99 +0200, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
>I've also read in the instructions of my scanner that Kodachrome dyes are
>different in some way and that they will not scan with the same parameters
>used
>for other slides.  I find that perplexing because, if the _look_ the same, I
>don't see why they would not _scan_ the same.  In both cases, it's red, blue,
>and green light, right?

You would think, but Kodak's scanners come with settings for each of their
films. What seems the same to the eye is not. There are great differences
in film, and scanners are going to have a hard time sorting them out. I
don't always use the setting Kodak recommends for a particular film (and
funny, they don't have any settings for Fuji films - I use the Ektapress
400 setting for Fuji 800 pushed). All in all, it takes time to sort out
optimal settings for film

Digital does not equal easy.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a
hobby. - Eliott Erwitt