Subject: Re: [Leica] What I'd like to see.
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 21:17:21 -0400

- -------------------- Begin Original Message --------------------

> Paul wrote:
>
> My Leica M wish list includes AE (the only change
> I'd like to see in the bodies), recognizing that it would
> need a new (focal plane) shutter.

It would need more than that.  It would require a way to change the
aperture
automagically as well, and right now there isn't even a linkage for that.
This
would require a new line of lenses.  You'd also need more batteries, and
more
space in the body for electronics and motors (and batteries).

<snip>

  -- Anthony

- -------------------- End Original Message --------------------

Anthony,

Auto exposure can be accomplished with aperture priority, where the
camera's electronics determines the shutter speed based on the light
reaching the film plane, much like an SLR's aperture-priority mode.  No
linkage is needed because the lens is always at working aperture.
Auto-exposure in my R4sP is powered by 2 76 batteries, hardly a major space
requirement.  I'd guess that the electronics would be smaller than the
mechanical timing mechanisms in present M cameras, and aperture-priority
requires no motors.

Doug Herr
Sacramento