Subject: [Leica] Gaussian blur
From: "Johnny Deadman" <deadman@cinematic.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 18:30:12 +0100

> Has anyone messed around with the Gaussian blur filter in PhotoShop?  I've
> been experimenting with it in an attempt to knock the edge off apparent
> grain in enlargements.  It seems to work surprisingly well.  I haven't read
> about this anywhere. Any comments?

This is a standard technique for removing screens from images scanned from
publications. You can then 'sharpen' if you want.

Subtlety is the KEY in using photoshop, along with never using the 'auto
levels' etc. Learn how to play with the curves, and don't over sharpen. Open
any newspaper and you can see how to fuck up a photograph in Photoshop.

- --
Johnny Deadman

"One must have a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell without
laughing" - Oscar Wilde