Subject: Re: [Leica] Grey Zone
From: Jegerken@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 22:08:54 EDT

I spent many years making complex 8X10 transparencies (sometimes as many as
20 - 30 separate exposures to build up the final composite image) before
computer graphics programs made the days of testing and hours of shooting
obsolete. In this type of work you obsess over exposure and technique and
dialing in an exact repeatable development regime.

With my retirement from this production work I gravitated toward PJ style
shooting as a way to revel in the spontaneity of the moment, abandoning the
strict control of the studio. Eventually the process became the end and I was
hardly concerned with the final product. P&S camera, Walmart one hour
processing, action subjects -- amusement parks, motor sports, dancing, etc.

One thing I learned from this binge was that mastery of the technique, from
technical expertise to putting ones' self in a position to realize a
"decisive moment" are necessary to create works which are not boring and
mundane.  Many memorable shots are just that because of technical control of
the medium allowing an everyday moment to transcend the ordinary and show us
something in a remarkable new way.

AA seems bent on finding more interesting things to shoot (living in Paris!)
in order to take his photography to a higher level. Absent the horrors of war
and conflict, I would suggest some good old fashioned hard work in the form
of study and practice will be required to go to another level.  You can spend
your time waiting for lightning to strike or learn how to deal with the light
you've got.

IMHO

JG