Subject: Re: [Leica] Same Digest Response (Off-Leica)
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 18:15:49 +0200

From: Joseph E. Hayes <jeh50@earthlink.net>
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 1999 18:04
Subject: [Leica] Same Digest Response (Off-Leica)

> In several of the Digests, I have noted that some LUGers
> have the capability to respond to a post in the same Digest...
> Just curious...What are you using to connect to the Internet
> that allows you to respond so fast?

You can subscribe to either the digest form or the individual message form.  In
the former case, you receive one long message combining many different posts at
regular intervals.  In the latter case, you receive each post to the mailing
list as it is mailed.  If you are receiving posts individually and you respond
to a post rapidly, there's a chance that your response will appear in the same
digest as the post to which you are responding.

I don't normally subscribe to digests.  It's true that it is only one occasional
message instead of many, but it's a _long_ message, and you have to wade through
all the topics that don't interest you in order to find the topics that do.
Furthermore, it's a pain to respond to an individual post, because you have to
clip it out of all the rest of the digest, change the subject line, etc.

Another advantage to the individual-message form is that you can just look at
the subjects of each post in your e-mail program, and read only the ones that
you find interesting.  The rest you can just delete.

  -- Anthony