Subject: Re: [Leica] Grey Zone/ ? zone VI meter
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 12:48:55 -0700

KPETERS wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is valid or not but both of my R4's meter for zone VI
> when compared to my hand held incident readings.  It is consistent over a
> wide range of light and SHOWS when using slide films.  Is this typical?  I
> don't usually mind, I just meter something I want zone VI in the image, lock
> the exposure, recompose and shoot.  Usually fits together all ok!    Kpeters

I read that in camera meters are often set at VI like yours.
People want to aim their cameras at a face (a Zone VI face) and just shoot.
Manufactures know that.
I've come to expect a separate meter to expose a stop less then one in a camera.
However my Minolta Spotmeter F does agree with my Leica M6 meter which I find
very stabilizing.
What more could you ask in life than your two favorite meters to agree?
The main thing is you know what your meter is doing and your system matches it.
Here is my rundown of a shady fence at 1/8 of a second:

8/11		Minolta Spotmeter f
11/16		Gossen Luna pro digital
11/16		Gossen Pilot 2
8/11		Leica M6