Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Why spend more for a Summilux 50mm f/1.4?
From: Andre Jean QUINTAL <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 07:44:32 -0400

Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 16:13:18 -0700
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Subject: [Leica] Re: Why spend more for a Summilux 50mm f/1.4?
Sender: owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

	Thanks Jim for replying in terms of actual photo considerations:
	it brings everything back in true perspective
	with a seasoned sense of photo directed priorities.

	If only LEICA made a 35mm 'R' lens similar to
	the 'M' 35mm asph Summicron ... or added better 'macro'
	capabilities to the current 50mm Summicron designs ...

	To me, f/1.4 over f/2 is quite a secondary consideration.
	And YES, the notion of getting MF results out of 35mm
	is a more or less conscious pursuit. Still, I have to improve
	my "bete noire": lighting control ! (Never too much of that,
	especially since I enjoy 3/4 and back lighting a whole lot
	and whatever notions I can make use of to increase dimensionality
	in my photos, color 99.9% of the time. I actually leech
	whatever I can from painting and drawing directed books;
	it helps in prioritizing such things as creative perspective
	and to maximize shadows and DOF to enhance the final results,
	even in situations where there's little or no lighting control
	at first glance. Image structure forever primes over hardware.)

	Andre Jean Quintal

I think the answer to your question is quite simple. Most all modern
Summicron and Summilux lenses will out perform most photographers
"technique". As Erwin says, one must use the finest techniques possible
while taking photographs with these lenses in order to actually reap the
rewards of the design. The normal photographer, not using a tripod, not
using MLU on the R, not using the finest grain film, not using the optimum
f/stop, etc... will not achieve the possibilities of the lens.

So the simple answer to your question is, "do you want or need f/1.4?" Do
you need another stop of light? Do you want the capability of more
background blur? Do you want the capability of less DOF? These, I think,
are the deciding points.

Or are you attempting to get MF or LF quality in very large prints from
your 35mm film? In which case you need to pull out all of the technique
stops and use the newest APO & ASPH lenses.

IMHO

Jim