Subject: Re: [Leica] Zone blues
From: Andre Jean QUINTAL <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 08:30:36 -0400

. . .
> ZS is only a formal way of saying 'expose for the shadows,
> develop for the highlights' ...

I have no control over development.  I can only control exposure.

	--> if you type    +color   +zone   +system
	in your browser, say at Yahoo or Altavista,
	you'll very likely bump into a truly interesting webpage
	about extending Zone System concepts to slide color
	photography.

	--> focussed reading of a well made book on the Zone System
	and taking the time to let it sink in and not let preconceptions
	hinder the awareness process from happening
	already represents a major step towards better lighting
	control from what is available, staring at you no less,
	and make the most of it.
	Still, expecting black & white latitudes out of colour slide film
	is not very intelligent.
	The reciprocal is: knowing more about the limiting factors
	of a given emulsion type, through deliberate experimenting,
	and at least having a true conversation level understanding of the
	Zone System is quite a valuable asset in helping to enhance
	one's general quality and useability level from any photo op.

	If it was "kosher" to have two assistants and three IR linked
	Metz auto-flashes, supposing money was not an issue, it might
	just make for "acceptable" shots without proper knowledge
	and awareness of the Zone System or of the extended
	"Color Zone System" as expounded at that webpage
	I am referring to above.

	Sculpting with light probably is the closest expression
	of what happens after having been exposed to the Zone System
	and excellent Zone System shots, with appropriate commentary.

	Getting a useable shot out of an "impossible" situation
	can be the outcome of taking an evening to read up on
	the Zone System and work at it. Highly recommended.

	If only people got real and stopped demanding Zone IV
	results from Zone I situations ! We can learn from David Hamilton
	and make art from soft contrast ratio Zone I and II situations.

	I always wanted to get Grouch IN his trashcan !
	Sesame Street and the real me . . .
	Miss Piggy keeps asking me to pretend I'm a real pig ...
	I wonder why. Oink !  Oink !

	Andre Jean Quintal