Subject: Re: [Leica] Zone blues
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 15:18:54 +0200

From: A.H.SCHMIDT <horst.schmidt@actek.com.au>
Sent: Monday, September 27, 1999 14:10

> Boy, are you lucky. If all what's wrong with your
> negatives, is more ore less exposure.

From an exposure standpoint, that's all that _can_ be wrong with it.  The entire
negative is exposed at once, so the only variable you can play with is EV, and
that is a one-dimensional variable.  If the shadows are eight stops away from
the highlights, there is nothing you can do to fix that.

> Then all you have to do, is to use some bracketing.

Bracketing is expensive.  I'd like to be able to get a decent result on one try.

> Of course, you have all the control over your development.
> Just do it you self.

I've considered it.  Can you recommend a book or Web site or something that
describes, in detail, exactly how this works?  I know that my father used to
develop (and print) his own B&W, and I remember agitating the small tank he used
to develop negatives, and I don't recall it being _too_ complicated.  However, I
have a really tiny apartment, and so it would have to be extremely compact.

Picto is right down the street, and they have an excellent reputation.  I know
they want $12 a roll for B&W development, though, and I'm not sure if they offer
same-day or express service (you'd think so, given how easy this is all supposed
to be, but perhaps not).  I was thinking of dropping by there today or tomorrow
to see exactly what they propose.

> Once your film is developed and fixed, take a cloth peg
> and hang then up in the shower cubicle for drying.

I don't have a shower cubicle.

> It also pays to by a book -and read it- about developing
> techniques. (saves you asking a million questions)

Fine.  Can you recommend some specific titles?

> Printing control? of course you have it.

I don't print anything, so that's not a problem.

  -- Anthony