Subject: [Leica] The cost of consumables
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 12:11:56 -0700

> From: Anthony Atkielski

[snip]
> remember that the camera purchase is a one-time
> expense, whereas development costs money for every shot.

This comment prompted me to do the math.  I shoot colour neg, it's always
processed and proofed by a pro lab.  I figure it costs me $25 CDN per roll
for film and processing.  I shoot on average two rolls a week.  That's $2500
per year, and I spend about that again on enlargements, for a total cost of
$5000 CDN per year.  The price of a new M6 is about $3500 CDN  So Anthony's
point is a good one - in three years of being a not-terribly-prolific
amateur I will have easily outspent my entire investment in Leicas, Nikons
and P&S's.

Now in my case, this just makes it easier to justify the purchase of the new
90 APO...

Paul Chefurka