Subject: [Leica] Ted's outcry
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:59:26 +1000

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but IMO Anthony's output has become both
more restrained and more reasonable over the past few days.  Give the guy a
break - he'll settle in here in his own way and on his own terms.  If some
regulars are upset by a flood of questions, commentary and strong opinions
from a newbie, they should look not only to his actions but to their own
reactions as well - the LUG is not simply a preserve for the technically
sophisticated, the socially adept and the deferential.  This is still the
net, remember - the last bastion of egalitarianism and free speech.
Especially on an unmoderated list like this.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Paul,

what you say is of course correct, but AA is not really looking for advise.
Everytime it is given, he re-questions it, and dismisses it. It is not
unreasonable for some of the group to expect that any member who asks a
question might follow the advise before rejecting it. Not that the
outpourings on exposure etc have been unhelpful to others like me on the
list, but anyone will become frustrated when the line of questions
includes: I'm in trouble as my exposures are dreadful --- try this --- this
is BS isn't it? --- explanation --- rubbish surely I don't need this --- OK
but why ask --- [nothing better to do?]

AA's tenacity is fine, but we cannot really critisise the other users for
having their own opinions and reactions to this kind of "provocation". Over
the 3 or so years I've been on this list there have been several
"disruptions", some of them more nasty than others. AA is not nasty, just
prolific, tenacious, graciously provocative, and his questions are more
likely to be rhetorical than true expressions of interest. Its not so much
him settling in but the group adjusting to his style. Please remember that
the best way to survive in this "environment" is to be tolerant, in this
case of both AA and his "detractors". I was about to say that Erwin's
advise is great, but of course I [it may just be me] do not think AA is
really looking for advise, just a sounding board. He is clearly NOT a
newbie, nor unwise in the ways of the www, and we will all have to learn
that his questions are not "mean't" to be answered. Words full of sound and
fury signifying nothing.

love luck and laughter

Alastair Firkin