Subject: Re: [Leica] scanning Leica slides vs colorneg
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 02:24:41 +0200

From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 1999 01:39

> It is my understanding that your typical scanner is really
> not up to snuff to slides and does better with ColorNeg ...

True, but the Nikon Coolscan is not a typical scanner, particularly the LS-2000
(although my LS-2000 has been in the shop since I got it).  The LS-2000 will
make multiple passes to extra additional information and produces 36-bit scans
with a great deal of detail--works great for slides.  At the moment, I'm using
an LS-30, and that seems to do very well, also, though probably not as good as
the LS-2000 (if the latter ever gets fixed, I'll compare).

> ... while a Polaroid 4000 can deal with slides fine.

In most of the comparisons I've heard of between the Polaroid and the Nikon, the
Polaroid loses, although I think it has higher resolution (?).  The Nikon really
does a beautiful job, if you're fortunate enough to get one that actually works.

  -- Anthony