Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V12 #19
From: "Shawn London" <srlondon@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:58:46 -0400

This is the best suggestion I've seen to date.  It seems that many of the
people who are calling for censorship of this list in one form or another
have not been on it long enough to appreciate the cyclical nature of the
activity here.

Every six months or so (like clockwork) some self-hating Leica owner shows
up and thinks he's brilliant because he can trash talk about a camera he
paid $3,000 for.  There is a big uproar, then people get tired of being
baited by his inane postings and stop replying.  Once the source of
attention dries up, he either shuts up or moves on.  The list is essentially
self-regulating, thus no "editing" by a third party is required.

Two good rules of thumb for both mailing lists and Usenet (or even e-mail to
some extent) are a) Don't respond to a troll (i.e. someone who writes bait
posts in an interest area):  you aren't going to convince them they're
wrong, and experience suggests they aren't listening anyway and b) If a post
really gets you riled up, go ahead and write a reply, but leave it in your
outbox for 30 minutes until you cool down before actually sending it.  It
keeps some unneccessarily ugly things from getting said, and can take an
argument down a notch when things get hot.