Subject: Re: [Leica] Trinol amateur test
From: Simon Stevens <simon@wizard.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:20:29 -0400

Nice teleological argument. I guess I'm with Hans Morganthau
"Sovereignty points to a political fact." And as you say, "Great"
Britain includes Wales and Scotland" (although this political reality
may change at some point). But I see where you are coming from.

About the "Great" thing. It's actually simpler and less bombastic that
you believe.  There were simply two Britains. "Great," meaning "big"
refers to the island, differentiating it from the "lesser" Brittany, now
in modern France. The fact that they were once confusable goes back a
long way before the Act of Union and it isn't really a nationalist term
since it predates the modern concept of Nationalism.

Simon Stevens