Subject: [Leica] R7 Vs R8 opinions
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 00:08:42 -0400

- -------------------- Begin Original Message --------------------

Message text written by Tom D:

"Lugnuts,

I own a R7 & a R8 w/ the 24, 35 f2, 90 f2.8., 100 apo,
& the 180 apo f2.8 lenses. My R7 has the winder/strap
& I have the R8 winder as well! So far so good ;-)!

I'd like to get a third SLR; either a R7 or the R8. The R7 is
light weight, great reliability, & great balance w/winder/strap.
The R8 has features that merit attention; viewfinder brilliance,
better tripod balance w/ 100 & 180 apos, & easy bracketing.

However, R7s are nigh impossible to purchase. Opinions
please,  as to optimal path: a.) Buy an R8; get it over with!
b.) Locate a new/"good" used R7; any ideas?  c.) Do nothing
&  just get on with my photography. Two camera bodies are
more than enough ;-)!

Appreciate any & all input!

"

- -------------------- End Original Message --------------------

Tom,

If I were asking myself this question, I'd notice that I don't have any
really slow lenses so the the viewfinder brightness wouldn't be a big deal.
 Taking that factor out, and assuming equal reliability, I'd ask myself
whether my hand-held (R7) or tripod-based (R8 w/APO) work needed a 2nd
body.

If you decide on a 2nd R7, don't consider the lack of new R7 bodies to be a
problem.  Get a used one in good condition and have it CLA'd.

OTOH, what's the purpose of the 3rd body? backup, another film type,
keeping another lens ready to use?  If you don't have a clear idea what you
would use it for, your resources are better spent making pictures!

Doug Herr
Sacramento