Subject: Re: [Leica] Perhaps HCB isn't as outstanding a portraitist as he was a "street photographer - and other heretical thoughts
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 17:02:15 -0500

At 05:02 PM 9/29/99 +0000, B. D. Colen wrote:
>I know, I know,
>the photo of Goebels is truly remarkable. But that doesn't make Eisie a
>"great."
>
>But, hey, everybody who is vaguely interest in photography knows who he
>is..so...

When looking at his body of work, I have to say that he's much better than
you rate him, but he isn't as good as other "greats." Part of the reason
LIFE was as powerful as it was is because of Eisie and the remarkable
photos he took when what he did was considered remarkable. He was on the
original staff of LIFE. But the profession has grown, and the
sophistication of photography has too. We need to judge him by his life's
work, not just some of it. And in that case, I'd have to rate him as one of
the greats, because of who he was, not just his photos. I don't see
anything wrong with that approach. There are others, for sure. But he is
part of the growth of our profession of photojournalism. And as I grow in
my understanding of that history, he stands out as a remarkable person as
well as photographer.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch