Subject: RE: [Leica] Perhaps HCB isn't as outstanding a portraitist as he was a "street photographer - and other heretical thoughts
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 10:27:34 -0000

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Today's subliminal thought is...

...that I will admit you're right in terms of viewing him in the context of
his times and of his contribution to a then infant profession. I guess then
I might come down on the side of admiring his work more as an historical
artifact, than as photography, given how far photography and photojournalism
have come. On the other hand, I can look at some of another earlier Lifer -
Eugene Smith's - work and be blown away by it (even with the darkroom
manipulation and some of the setting up, the Pittsburgh stuff remains
absolutely remarkable, as does some of his WWII work, etc.)

B. D.