Subject: [Leica] Filters for black and white
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 12:45:40 +0300

Jean-Claude Berger wrote:

> Hello Bernard,
>
> > The way I work, it's black and white where I need filters, not
> color. I
> > have two grades of green, two grades of red [...]
>
> Very interesting. What makes you choose a grade or another of the same
> color before shooting? Do you tend to level the effect, for example by
> choosing a dark red with a light blue sky and a light red with a dark
> sky or, at the opposite, do you emphasize it?

As far as the sky goes, you need to decide just how dark you want it.
Blue will go from white to black, depending on the filter. Factor-8 red
means a black sky in most situations. The level of drama you get from
clouds (if there are any) changes accordingly. But that's not the whole
story. Red will darken foliage, and I happen to like that (Mark Rabiner
hates it). So again, you have to judge the foliage you're dealing with
and decide how dark you want. Those darkened trees and things, make for
very nice accents in my opinion. Then there's architecture. Red filters
add a lot of contrast to stone buildings. When the main object of the
photo is the building (a church, for instance), I normally grab for the
factor-8 straight away. If other objects are involved (foliage, grass,
or even large shadows), the factor-5 is a wiser choice.

> Are you really able to quantify the differences between two grades
> when you see the final result?

Oh, certainly!

> I ask it because I have to admit I'm unable to recognize a picture I
> made with the orange of red (medium) filter a week after I made it.

Do you do you own printing? I ask, because who knows... maybe the lab
you use has some sort of equalizing automation built in. People who see
my red-filter negs, pull pained faces and with trembling voice ask "what
happened". I tell them to relax.... it was a filter, just a filter....
just keep breathing, it's alright.

I would like to add that factor-5 red is a gorgeous filter for
portraits. The skin becomes very soft and comes to look like porcelain.
If you want a flattering portrait and aren't a fan of those banal
soft-focus filters, then in black and white, the red filter is the way
to go. The results inevitably lead to streams of ooooh's and aahhh's for
me.

Bernard.