Subject: Re: [Leica] R7 Vs R8 vs R6 opinions
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 17:39:46 +0300

Michael Hintlian wrote:

> Tom;
>
> Perhaps a different tack...why not look at getting a clean used R6...a
> mechanical backup body???

I have one of those, too. Honestly, I don't see the point in having one.
So it doesn't need batteries. Fine, but it'll probably break on some
other point. In the studio it behaves like any other camera; you can
hang a motor under it, set it to X and fire away. Outside, it won't do
half-stops, is a bit slower to set than an R7 in manual mode
(expo-memory is faster than twisting knobs, but if you like twisting
knobs, you can do that with the R7, too). It's a nice camera, though not
as advanced as the R7. Really, I don't see the point in having one. I'd
rather have yet another R7, or maybe even an R5 for backup. I just don't
believe in that battery issue. I have spare batteries for everything in
all my camera bags, and if some people worry that the electronics will
give up, well.... mechanics can do just that, too.

I'm not trying to prove anything, and not even trying to make a point of
some kind. I guess I'm just a little unhappy that I went for the R6
instead of something else, that one day, a long time ago.

Okay, okay.... I'll admit. My R6 has been mended. The problem was the
electronics (the winder won't work if the electronics are down, so it's
a pain), not ever with the mechanics. The camera gave up after I exposed
it several time to extreme changes of temperature and most of all,
moisture. I was shooting a factory. Credit to the camera that it gave up
on me, only after the third day.

Bernard.