Subject: Re: [Leica] A new Leica List? -- Hopefully!
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 08:43:51 -0700

>I wonder how this new list will end up splitting the LUG.

I've seen at least 6 mailing lists split off from the mailing list I
admin. Most of them have become vital, solid lists in their own right.
The subscriber base for euro-moto dropped a little with each split, then
stabilized. It's been constant at the 325-375 level for some years now,
even though several of those lists were spawned within those years, and
the message traffic is at a very manageable level, with a high signal to
noise ratio.

Basically, if there's enough to talk about, the possibility of more
separate lists doesn't hurt anything. It allows smaller communities of
subscribers and opportunity to converse on a subject with more
specificity, germaine to the interests of a particular community. A good
example is the NikonMF list vs the main Nikon mailing list. The former is
400-500 people who focus their discussion primarily on the use of the
manual focus line of Nikons without having to wade through the hundreds
of emails that all Nikon users submit. Many subscribe to both lists and
useful information is often cross-posted as it becomes of interest.

There's plenty of room for variety in the Leica community.

Godfrey