Subject: [Leica] Re: OFF TOPIC, "Americans" (aka Ugly Americans)
From: Bill Erfurth <m6rf@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 13:29:35 -0700 (PDT)

Tim Wrote:

Interestingly, when I was in Central America this
year,
whenever I referred
to "Americans" (meaning the US)  I was inevitably
corrected/reminded that it
was "North Americans".

Also, when I was (usually dismissively/negatively)
referred
to as a
"Gringo", I would correct them and point out that I
was not
a Gringo, but a
Canadian. This seemed to make a significant difference
and
invariably led to
a change of attitude and an increase in friendliness,
even
in the marginal
barrios where I was working.

It is interesting to note that many of the young
people, high school and college students,  from the US
who go back-packing through Europe in the summer very
often sew a Canadian flag on their back packs so that
people won't know that they are Americans.

Bill