Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: OFF TOPIC, "Americans" (aka Ugly Americans)
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 16:41:26 -0000

FYI --

The term Gringo is a throw back to the days of the Mexican War - the US grab
of California and the Southwest. Green Grow The Lilacs was a popular song of
the day, often sung by U.S. expeditionary forces, hence the term, Gringo -
from Greengrow.

Oh well, I had to learn something in U.S. Social History all those many
years ago! :-)