Subject: Re: [Leica] The cost of Leica in 1974
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 12:11:40 EDT

In a message dated 10/1/99 10:37:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:

<<
 ...What would today's price be were it not for the extraordinary inflation
 of the 1970s and early 80s? While there is absolutely no question that Leica
 gear - collector value aside - holds its value far better than most other
 camera lines, how much of the fabulous "investment" opportunity indicated
 below is simply a matter of inflation. >>

A Nikon FTn with 50 1.4 sold for around $500 in '68 when I bought mine, and
today one in mint condition is right around the same, and Nikon F's have
acquired somewhat of a collector status themselves.  Also in '68 a black
Pentax Spotmatic with 50 1.4 retailed for around $300 and I've seen them in
the under-$100 range recently.  I can't make a comment with regard to the
Leica reflexes since I never shopped them back then.

DT