Subject: [Leica] An intro and a 28mm question....
From: Jeff Baskin <j.baskin@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 12:09:48 -0700

Hi everyone,
I'm fairly new to the LUG (joined a couple weeks back), but thought I'd
take a moment to de-lurk and introduce myself: My name is Jeff, and I'm a
Leica-holic. Actually, I  picked up my first outfit last spring, a lovely
M2 in nice shape and a new 50mm Summicron. I've been out shooting street
scenes nonstop here in LA, and I must say I'm completely smitten with this
little camera. Really looking forward to my results when I've completely
gotten the hang of it.

So now a quick question: this may be a bit premature, but I'm already
considering a wide angle lens. Spotted a VERY clean ten-year-old 2.8/28
Elmarit at my local shop, for about $1100----is the current 28mm noticeably
"better" than the earlier generation, in terms of performance? I understand
the current lens is a bit more compact.

Also, is it possible to make due without the separate viewfinder? I've
heard that some just use the full viewfinder area on an M2 to more-or-less
approximate the 28mm frame. Any advice/input would be most welcome.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, I'd have to cast my vote for the
Cardhu single malt. Smooth and mellow. Happy shooting...../Jeff