Subject: [Leica] I found this question in my large format newsgroup.
From: "Gary D. Whalen" <whalen@circle.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 15:04:19 -0400

I don't know if this question is legitimate but he left his address so I
will assume that it is.

Subject:
             Leica Thread
        Date:
             Fri, 01 Oct 1999 14:32:22 -0400
       From:
             Michael Klayman <michael@schneideroptics.com>
 Newsgroups:
             rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Hi,

I am putting together a FAQ page at my company's web site and my boss
suggested the question, "What is a Leica thread?"

So far, I know that Leica invented the thread pre-WWII as an attempt to
keep competitors from making aftermarket lenses for their cameras, as it

meant making a new lathe to etch the English Imperial pitch. But how did

the Leica thread become the standard for enlarger lens mounts? Did
everyone just adopt the Leica thread over time, or was there some
trailblazing company that everyone followed?

Thanks.

Michael Klayman
Schneider Optics, Inc.
http://www.schneideroptics.com