Subject: Re: [Leica] Doom and Gloom longish
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 1999 17:24:53 -0700

In a year retrospect the time's that were the hairiest were often the best here
on the LUG.
I don't agree with the idea that "As one contributor remarked:anyone daring to
ask a real Leica related question will be overlooked." Despite my highest regard
for who quoted it.
The tension in the air is also on the Rollei list and the spin-offs that are now
going along with it. Seldom have five seconds on the Lug gone by when were
wasn't somebody saying that the whole thing is wrong, we were addressing the
wrong issues in the wrong way and for the wrong amount of time and emphasis.
I find American child killing Canadian bashing threads as innocuous and
ludicrously funny as you can get. If you had to pick a more banal outlet for
pent up over Leica 'd OT vents that would be it. Taking stuff like that
serioulsy inicates for me a need for a vacation. Is there a lull in on topic
Leica threads? not really.
We've managed to sneak some in between AA bashing many of them coming from him.
I am ashamed for some of the mean spirited nastiness that has gone on.

My commitment to LeicaM and what it can do and my wanting to be involved with
others that feel the same grows. In the last month I've been getting the results
to show it with a tall stack of 8by10 archival fiber prints that have come off
my drier screens. I am impressed as hell with the new ASPH's and my 6 year old
50mm Summicron and how that has expressed with Tri x in Rodinol and Xtol.
Especaillly the Xtol which is enough to rekindles anyones lagging interest as
well as my Aristo VC head with it's green and then blue printing capability.
I champion yellow-green filters and not overuse of the UV's.
I think the camera should be loaded without kinks or peaks.
I think the 50 is the underdog best lens for most occasions and you can't have
enough of them, or normal's of any format.
I like Tri x, Kodachrome and the new Delta's. Love the 135 3.4 APO a revelation
in how the M6 can be used. I have other issues central with me that I can't
think of now and I have anti issues...not fond of the Contax G2 as you know and
the letters "EOS" makes me cringe but what the hey! I've learned a lot on the
list.
Some of my pretty central issues have come from yous guys/gals.
This will blow over and the LUG will continue. People who feel the best angry
statement they can make is to disappear will not get a big argument from me. I
got enough anger coming at me from all kinds of places I can only take so much
on the LUG. Tolerance is the big issue the majority of us need to learn. The
world isn't goin to end if everyone priorities don't match up to ours.
Mark Rabiner