Subject: Re: [Leica] The artless art
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 17:42:18 +0300

Alastair Firkin wrote:

> HCB is a GREAT portraitist is my opinion

(snip)

> Here is a record of artists, writers, workers, children, friends,
> statesmen, actors and intellects captured in a gentle, unobtrusive
> way. No obvious props, no obvious lighting, no obvious make up, people
> in their environment, the great treated in the same way as the meek,
> with movement, humour, affection, distain and insight.

What I see is the result of someone snapping at people around him
without making very serious attempts at composition, lighting etc. The
result is fairly comparable to happy snaps, only it looks more
intriguing because of the black and white, and because there are no
cheesy smiles. Yes, I know I'm exaggerating, but I'm not doing it to
start trouble. I honestly don't think it takes special talent to take
such pictures; you just need to get into it, and *do* it. He did it. And
so did the hero of that boring movie of the boy with the Canonette:
Pecker. The results are quite comparable.

Bernard.