Subject: Re: [Leica] RTFM
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 11:16:29 +0300

Roy Zartarian wrote:

> LUGs
>
> Earlier in the week I had to do a group photo of local elected
> officials.  So I packed up the R8 and a couple of lenses, charged
> up the Quantum, and made sure the 40MZ-2 fired.
>
> Then as the subjects were being arranged and I was preparing to
> photograph, my decrepit mind drew a complete blank on body and
> flash settings to have the R8 metering system do the thinking for
> me.  The camera didn't set itself at 1/250th, and I could tell from
> the sound of the shutter at the first frame that I had really fouled
> up.
>
> Switching everything over to manual (1/60 at f/5.6 with flash going
> into a bounce card ) for the remainder of the frames saved the day.

This is where the R8's flash meter can come in handy! I should add that
I've never used that feature. Tested yes, used no. In the studio I use
an incident meter, and for fill flash outside, I try to trust the
camera. I say try, because I don't really trust what I haven't metered;
sometimes I check the fill-flash output with my Gossen, though I gather
that studio meters aren't really suitable to meter portable units.

Bernard.