Subject: Re: [Leica] Now Focomat 1C Question (was: Has the LUG a future?)
From: Don McClure <mcclure1@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 22:55:20 -0400

>The Focomat 1C is worth saving.  It is a precision machine, and is a joy
>to use,
>especially with the autofocus capability from 2X to 10X magnification range.
>The autofocus requires a Leica Focotar or Leica 50 mm camera lens to operate
>successfully.  You will also have to use a Leica or other brand 25mm thick
>easeI, although this can be resolved by shimming up any easel thinner that
>this,
>or by using a spacer on the locating pin on the column that positions the
>head
>in relation to the base board or easel for thicker easels.
>
>I would encourage your friend to find the condenser and negative carrier,
>because they are expensive to replace new, and hard to find used.  If you are
>not in a hurry, wait him out, or volunteer to help him find it.  He will
>probably be so embarrassed, or his wife will be so embarrassed (much more
>likely!) about the mess, that he will find it in a hurry.  Chances are
>that his
>kids used the condenser to burn up bugs with focused sun light.  Any way, the
>condenser and negative carrier are probably available from Leica, but at what
>cost?  Probably too much.  Negative carriers are hard to find, but the
>search is
>fun, and if you have patience, you will be successful.
>
>The Focotar lenses are excellent, especially in terms of contrast, i.e., in
>their control of flare and color fringing from f5.6 on).  There are three
>50mm
>f4.5 Focotar optical  designs.  The first is a modified triplet, or Tessar or
>Elmar design that uses 5 elements, with the front element split into two
>elements.  it can be easily identified by the fact that the lens
>information is
>printed on the front of the aperture ring (i.e., towards the easel when
>the lens
>is mounted on the enlarger).  The second design is a Schneider design, and
>is a
>five element, four component Gauss type.  The third design is called the
>Focotar-2, and is a six element, five component  gauss Leica design of superb
>performance.  These two lenses can be differentiated from the first design by
>the fact that the lens information is printed on the side of the barrel.
>I am
>not knowledgeable about the performance of the Schneider designed Focotar,
>but
>it is described by Leica USA as better than that of the first design,
>especially
>for color work.  I have owned, used and tested the first design and the third
>design lenses.  The Focotar-2 lens outperforms the first design in
>resolution at
>every aperture, but especially at f11 and f16, and at every magnification
>from
> [...]

Thanks for the great info! I will have the lens cleaned. It is marked
DOOCQ, and has the DOORX extension adapter. Gotta love those names!

I took matters into my own hands and searched myself. In an old bag, I
found the condenser (more below), along with the negative carrier. There
was also a mint BOOWU copy stand in box, a bakelite case for a Summaron
35/3.5 -no Summaron though ;(- and a couple of Leica film cassettes. Nice
find!

My question about the condenser: Is it supposed to have more than one
element? There is a metal tube with a lens at the lower (smaller) end.
When placed in the enlarger, there is a bayonet fitting, but I don't have
whatever it is that fits there. there is also a big spring that fits into
the body of the condenser. What's missing?

Don McClure
Abingdon, MD