Subject: Re: [Leica] Argus Cameras
From: "R. Saylor" <rlsaylor@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 23:23:02 -0400

When I was a little kid, a neighbor came home from US military
service in WWII with a Leica. He had lots of slides he had taken in
Germany and invited us over for several slide shows. This stimulated
my father's interest in 35mm photography (he had been using a box
camera). He couldn't afford a Leica, so he bought an Argus C3. It
was a brick-shaped rangefinder with a 50mm lens. He later gave the
camera to me, and I used it until it got stolen (car was broken into in
Manhattan). The pictures were not bad but nothing to rave about
compared to modern point & shoot cameras. However, it forced me
to learn the basics of exposure and focus, which people who start
out with auto-everything SLRs may miss. There is a web page with
info and pictures of the Argus (and other "classic" cameras), but I
don't have the URL handy.

Richard