Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: ...minilux hyperfocal...
From: "R. Saylor" <rlsaylor@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 12:16:10 -0400

The hyperfocal feature on the Minilux is not mentioned in the
manual.

Since I like to use hyperfocal for landscapes, I made a chart of
hyperfocal distances for the 40mm lens and happened to notice that
when focus was at hyperfocal the green AF mark was on the
corresponding f-stop. I emailed Solms and asked if this was a
deliberate built-in feature or a fluke, but they didn't answer.

Anyhow, I use it this way for most landscapes. First select the
aperture and set the focus at hyperfocal, then you can meter any
appropriate part of the scene, lock the exposure, recompose, and
take the picture. I almost always get perfect exposures this way.
(Otherwise, a bright sky, for example, can cause the subject to be
underexposed.) I used this method for all the mountain scenes at
http://members.aol.com/waponi/photos/brp.htm

I'm a manual camera person and usually find automation to be a
pain in the butt. However, with the Minilux it is easy to impose your
own exposure preferences. On the other hand, the full automation is
really handy for flash snapshots, and the Minilux is spot on every
time.

Richard

From:           	"claire" <clairetm@singnet.com.sg>

> Dear Richard,
> U wrote......
>

> "....I meant the green dot on the AF mark.  Try it. Set the aperture at f8.
> Set the AF mark at the same place (f8, which will be where the white
> mark is).  You read the focus at the P mark. It is at 7m.  This is
> hyperfocal for f8. The DOF will be from 3.5m to infinity, but there is
> no way to read this from the scales.

<snip>