Subject: Re: [Leica] How much difference is there....really
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 11:29:31 +0200

From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 1999 05:22

> Oh please, don't be so gullible.

I didn't say that I believed it, I was simply wondering what the real story was.

> First Eddie Adams' photos and now Nick UTs!

Has the same thing been said of Eddie Adams' photos?

Perhaps there is a conspiracy of television journalists out there that wants to
distract attention from great still photographs.  Now, that's something I could
almost believe, given the relative ruthlessness of television!

> Unbelievable. People ought to do some checking a bit>
> before spreading such rumors.

Sure, but with whom?  A lot of great photos stand in isolation--there is no
background information on what they represent or how they were produced.  We
know it was a Vietnamese girl who had been napalmed, but nothing else (although
I know that she is alive and well today).  We know that one Vietnamese guy was
shooting another, but nothing else (although I read that the guy being shot was
indeed a bad guy, with several murders under his belt).  We know that the lady
on her dusty farm looked worried about the future, but nothing else (although
I've read that she was only 25 years old!).

What happens when the original photographers die without ever documenting the
circumstances of their greatest photos?

  -- Anthony