Subject: Re: [Leica] Web sites for info on R lenses
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 09:05:09 -0500

At 08:53 AM 10/5/99 -0400, CAMRALUGGR@aol.com wrote:
>I'd really appreciate a
>listing of some sites which comment about older R lens performance and
>general user info?  Of course, individual LUGger comments on this subject are
>welcome and appreciated.

Well, I had the original one-cam 35 Elmarit, 50 Summicron and I had a 180
Elmarit 2 cam. They were all great lenses for their time. The 180
especially was wonderful, though big and heavy! The 250 F/4 was lighter. I
would say they were very competitive with the current lenses Japanese
lenses for the time I owned them (mid-80s). It was a pain to use them on my
R4, so I got rid of them fast and got a 35 Summilux, 24 Elmarit, 50
Summicron, 90 Summicron, but I converted the 180 to a three cam lens, and
it served me well. But didn't use it much after I got my 280 Apo Telyt.
What a lens!

So watch out, it will probably only drive you to more up-to-date purchases!
Stay clear of Leica shops! :-)

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Bumper Sticker: "Horn doesn't work; Watch for finger"