Subject: [Leica] Re: burning-dodging
From: "Bernard Degaute" <bernard.degaute@club.innet.be>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 19:01:16 +0200

Guy wrote, in part :
<is there
> any way one can guesstimate burn in/dodging time in any general way? the
> excellent (imo) book 'black and white photographic printing workshop' by
> bartlett and tarrant gives no particular rules, but certain consistencies
> (for example, they always dodge the eyes in a portrait 50% of the basic
> exposure time) seem to suggest that it may be possible to more or less
> guess additional exposure time. any ideas?

I think that there is no rule. First of all made a good examination of the
negative to estimate the different densities. After it is just a matter of
feeling and experience. I have been told : "Go out and shot, shot". I add :
"Come in and print" - long winter evenings are coming, so...

With best regards
Bernard
bernard.degaute@village.uunet.be