Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: high speed slide
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 14:50:12 EDT

In a message dated 10/5/99 1:20:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bernard.degaute@club.innet.be writes:

<< >Robert wrote :

 My vote goes to E200 Slide film.  I use it and like it.  I would however
 suggest that using faster films will give diappointing results because of
 their higher contrast and larger grain.  You are probably better with a
 sturdy tripod and slower shutter speeds with either E200 at EI 200 or one
 of the 100 speed Ektachromes.  Most stand fairly still and the camera shake
 is more of a problem than motion of the subject. >

 Xavier ,
 I agree with this. Using 400 gives poor results and pushing 400 to 800 worst
 (too much grain , lack of saturation and so on).

 With best regards
 Bernard

 bernard.degaute@village.uunet.be

I do a lot of wildlife shooting and also I've found that E200 is an excellent
film as is the consumer counterpart Elite Chrome 200.  I have pushed both 1
stop to EI 320 with good results although for some reason Kodak doesn't
recommend it with the Elite.  I have also used the Elite Chrome 400 and find
that it isn't all that grainy nor is the color washed out, but of course
there's a difference between it and slower film.  If the reason for shooting
high-speed film is to record wildlife in low light, then the extra contrast
isn't usually a problem, in fact it's welcomed in that flat light.  If OTOH,
you're using high-speed film to stop action or because of a slow lens (such
as the wonderfully sharp Leica 400 f6.8 Telyt) and are shooting in sunlit
conditions, the contrast may be too much.

DT